24 September 2010

Sydney Powerhouse Museum: The 'Macam-Macam Ada' Museum!

I HAVE JUST REMEMBERED...

I haven’t finished blogging about my trip to the down under yet. SO…….where were we? Ohhh, my last entry was about my trip to the scenic Manly Beach to where I took a cruise across the Sydney Harbour from the beautiful Circular Quay and getting back to the Harbour Square just in time to catch the sunset over the Harbour Bridge! o.O
For those of you who are new to my blog, I’d really want to recommend you to read my previous entries on my solo (and sometimes lonely huhu) tour around Sydney so that reading my next entries would be much more interesting. I can guarantee, once you’ve finished reading all the entries, you’ll feel like buying a return ticket to Sydney right away. Hehe. So….here:


OR.. If you’d like to start from the beginning of my journey to Australia, I actually started off in Melbourne. Here:


SO………….waking up on the 3rd day in Sydney, I began my tour of the day by walking towards the China Town. Way too early for anything interesting enough to stay around for.
A little walk from there brought me to the Chinese Garden- something that I found almost by accident while I was trying to locate the Powerhouse Museum on the Google Map.
I didn’t expect there’d be an entrance fee.
Taking a little peek from the gate, I decided may be I’ll just skip it. It would be just a mere little dot if compared to The Forbidden City in Beijing which I’d be heading to next year. We better go for the original and the bigger. Always.
Just outside of the gate of Chinese Garden was a group of kids being taken around by their teachers for some kind of study visit. One thing we gotta learn from teachers in Australia is the way they talk so passionately and heartily to their kids as if they are talking to grown-ups. Talking about a faster progress in mentality.
With a little bit of sense of direction and asking around (always!), I finally manage to find the Powerhouse Museum – another place I had in the list of places to visit.
I DID get complaints from some readers asking me not to write too much about museums. Oh well, I do admit that museums can be boring sometimes – but the Power House is not just an ordinary museum.
Powerhouse Museum has a very diverse collection of things I was actually quite confused at first as to what the museum was all about. It is a museum that exhibits just about everything from arts to science to transports to astronomy to photography – everything!
It is here where they put a 1:128 scale model of a section through the Opera House’s Major Hall (now Concert Hall) that shows Jorn Utzon’s final scheme for its interior and glass wall.
Ohhh, and whenever you come to the Powerhouse Musuem, do not forget to make your own batik.
Although it looked easy, I actually did a few re-dos before I came up with this.
Tada!
One of the highlights at the Powerhouse Museum is this giant steam engine. We all know how the world owes so much to James Watt and Matthew Boulton for inventing steam engine – something that has eventually transformed the way people lived and worked all over the world. JUST IMAGINE, if they didn’t not invent engine, we would most likely be sweating to death doing everything manually just like how they built up the pyramids in Giza thousands years ago.
This engine, one of the first few made by Watt and Boulton, is the oldest surviving rotative (wheel-turning) steam engine in the world. It was installed at London’s Whitbread brewery in 1785 and worked there for 102 years before it was donated to the museum in the late 1880s. I was told how it was used to brew beer in London for a period of time when water in London was not safe enough to drink.
Amazing. It was such a privilege to see it with my own eyes.
Just a few yards away from the stream engine is another major attraction in the whole museum - The Strasburg Clock Model. It bears the amazing story of a 25-year old fella who created the clock based on the Strasburg Clock in France when he actually never visited France to see the real clock for himself!
Another section of the museum was quite scary. It has aircrafts hanging down from the ceiling and I couldn’t help but glancing up at them every now and then just to make sure none of them were potentially lethal to fall down and crush on my tiny little frame of flesh and bones.
One of the most eye-opening sections in the museums is definitely this one here.
I’ve been complaining about the short-sightedness that started to give me a miserable life when I was still a teenager and how it forced me to live more miserably going everywhere with a pair of glasses gripping on my face.
But hey, to those who use the support of glasses to see – if you think your life is so miserable, try close your eyes and walk around a bit and you’ll be grateful that you’ve still got IT –at least. This section of the museum had brought me into thinking about those people who are totally blind.
Then I realized how big the contribution of the people like Louis Braille is to the whole world.
OHHH, and you can say that I’m a bit slow but I was wondering why every traffic light in Australia has this funny ticking sound every time it turns to green.
Oh well, it did come to my mind that it was to spark the sense of urgency in every pedestrian so that they’ll know when to quicken their pace. It DIDN’T cross my mind that it was even much more of use to the blind people or people with low-vision. Don’t you think we should have it here in Malaysia too? We do have blind people crossing roads every now and then here too right?
Learn Malaysia. Learn.

Then they have this big section of exhibition on photography featuring mostly on the outcome of the inaugural Powerhouse Museum International Photo Competition 2010. They picked ‘Trainspotting’ as their subject of competition and submission of photos was made via flickr!
Oh well, if you’re into photography, this section of the museum could be interesting to you.
If you’re not then be prepared to say WTH.
I did the later. LOL
And have your heard about Artificial Intelligence? It’s like putting some brains inside a machine so that the machine could have the ability of thinking just like us humans do.
It really was amazing how they present the concept of AI to the visitors to the museum. I was laughing almost uncontrollably when I impulsively hit a button and somebody started to sing and dance. OH wait. It’s not somebody. It’s a something. LOL
 AND………….. My favorite section of the whole museum is this.
It has something about the thing that I’ve been taking a part in fighting for ever since I realized how it is so much in danger now - environment.
Australia is probably one of the world’s leading countries in the fight against environment pollutions that the world is facing today. What they do at the Powerhouse Museum is one of their efforts in educating its people (and visitors like me) to be more aware of the environmental issues.
One of the environmental concepts that they’ve been trying to inflict into each of the communities in Australia is the idea of recycling to maintain the sustainability of resources.
A VERY SIMPLE CONCEPT of recycling is shown in this magnificent work of art here. They picked up 60 bags of rubbish from the beaches of North Stradbroke Island in Queensland and turned them into these beautiful totems that have now become one of the main attractions at the Powerhouse Museum.
What they are trying to say is simple.
That anything is possible if we really want to do it.
There were just so many things to see at the Powerhouse Museum that by the time I made my exit it half of the day was already gone.
Just on the other side of the road from the museum is the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre.
How can we ever forget how Ian Thorpe smashed record after record in the Athens' 2004 Olympic Games?
Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre is more like a monumental building dedicated to Ian The Torpedo who is dubbed the greatest swimmer of all time. I would never leave without taking some photo in front of it - camwhored or not. LOL
Walking towards where I was heading to, it was amazing to see the scarcity of people as if the whole stretch of the street was almost deserted. I mean, where is everybody?
It actually stopped at one particular spot from where the central city of Sydney looked almost like a wall of buildings in a postcard.
Check out the original size: 1024x579
And I could easily be part of the postcard. :-P
                                    Check out the original size: 1024x579
What a perfect place to feed both your eyes and stomach.
                          Check out the original size: 1024x579
As much as I had wanted to take my lunch there, I already had one place in mind. It'd be where I'd take my lunch. And you're not gonna believe how beautiful that place is. All in my next post.

11 comments:

Mr Lonely said...

nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

JIPP said...

sure Mr. Lonely. Thanks. :-)

chegu carol said...

Ahh yes, going to museum is not boring. provided that the museum itself is not boring la. I've only been to Perth museum but already I fell in loved with how they put effort in making museum an interesting place to visit. It's not just the same ol pictures and explanation kind of museum where you'd already get bored by the time you reach the 10 paintings/artifacts.

I did wonder too about the sound made by the traffic light in Perth. Lucky ada the hubby to explain me on that. And exactly the same thought, why cant they do that here in Malaysia?

JIPP said...

yupp, besides museums in Australia are different bah kan Carol. They really really put in a lot of efforts to make their museums very interesting to visit. In fact I really think museums in Aus are more informative n less-boring than museums in Europe.

And yes, why can't we put the ticking sound in our traffic lights? It'd be another level up in bringing in the caring image of our society. Really hv a lot to learn. :-(

thomas said...

This PowerHouse Museum building looks like an old power plant.

JIPP said...

haha. ya, actually it looks quite plain from the outside. But it is so huge inside.

ken said...

love the blue sky..
and the batik thingy, used to do that back in secondary school.. haha.. sucked at it =P

JIPP said...

really? I gotta blame my school then. They never taught us to do batik. It was a new experience to me. hehe.

fufu said...

i love the skyline of central sdyney :) was spending half an hour around chinatown admiring the skylines before walking to darling harbour... hohoho :) nice museum btw... i didnt go! would liek to go when i visit the city again!

JIPP said...

haha. U spoilt the surprise Fufu. Yupp, I went to the Darling Habour from the museum. Will post about it very soon. Finish ur study and u're free to go there again. Hehe.

Rahul Patel said...

Nice one. I would love to visit this place. Check out pench national park resorts also.You will get exclusive places.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails